It’s not unusual to be afraid of going to the dentist. 36% of Americans fear going to the dentist, according to the National Institutes of Health. 12% of Americans even suffer from extreme dental anxiety. For most, these anxieties come from the fear of feeling pain during your treatment. For many, going to the dentist can be a scary thing to do, but the team at Vegas Dental Experts provides sedation dentistry to help alleviate your dental anxiety.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is used to describe the use of mild sedation while providing dental services. It consists of a mild amount of sedation that allows you to remain conscious and aware, but also feel calm. It can sometimes be referred to as “Twilight Sleep” or “Conscious Sedation” dentistry because it creates a state of short-term amnesia, where the recipient doesn’t feel pain. For those dealing with dental anxiety, sedation dentistry can be a useful tool to help them alleviate or even overcome their fears and concerns. Sedation dentistry is best suited for those with the following conditions:
- Dental anxiety
- Special needs
- Fear of needles
- Extreme tooth sensitivity
- Fear of visiting the dentist
- Overly sensitive gag reflex
- Trouble controlling movements
- Decreased sensitivity to local anesthesia
Combating Dental Anxiety
Neglecting to go to the dentist due to dental anxiety can cause severe repercussions to your oral health, as well as the need for specialized dental care. Because we understand anxieties differ from person to person, sedation dentistry at Vegas Dental Experts will go over the top to ensure you are comfortable and at ease during your dental visit. Before your appointment, you will schedule a free consultation with Dr. Harvey Chin and his team to determine which type of sedation suits you best for your procedure and to combat your anxieties.
We would be delighted to answer any questions regarding the procedure and inform you of our various payment options.
The Positives of Sedation Dentistry
If you are someone dealing with dental anxiety, sedation dentistry can offer many benefits for you and us. Sedation dentistry can help you remain calm during your procedure, allowing the team to work faster. This can shorten the time of your appointment – and make you require fewer of them.
Sedation dentistry offers pain relief and can keep you calm. You will not feel anything at all as we perform your procedure. Sedation dentistry will make your procedures much less stressful.
If you have a sensitive gag reflex, this can make going to the dentist uncomfortable. A sensitive gag reflex can even lead to injuries since the spasms could cause the muscles to contract around dental tools. With sedation dentistry, this stops your gag reflex throughout the procedure.
For some, their fear of dental procedures is so large that they neglect to visit the dentist for years. Knowing that options like sedation dentistry can help eliminate discomfort or anxiety, you can visit us at Vegas Dental Experts regularly to prevent further problems and maintain good oral health.
Types of Sedation
Vegas Dental Experts offers many different types of sedation to help you feel the most at ease while getting the dental care you need. The right type for you will depend on your needs, and we will always inform you what we’re using before doing so.
Our types of sedation include:
- Nitrous Oxide (aka “laughing gas”) – Provides relief from pain and dental anxiety to help put you at ease. You inhale the nitrous oxide through a mask or nosepiece, and within three to five minutes, the calming effects will begin.
- Conscious Oral Sedation – Involves the use of medications that work as sedatives, usually in pill form, about an hour before the beginning of the procedure. Oral sedation can cause you to feel tired and even fall asleep, though you can still communicate with us, and we can easily wake you with a nudge.
- Intravenous Sedation – This involves delivering sedatives directly into your bloodstream. We can bring in an anesthesiologist for more complex procedures that require deeper sedation. For those with severe dental anxiety, intravenous sedation may be the best option.
Eliminate Dental Anxiety and Maintain Your Oral Health
If your stress and anxiety have caused you to neglect to visit the dentist, sedation dentistry can be a significant help. You can get the care you need with regular checkups, and your oral health will be impacted positively. By using our types of sedation, our team will put you at ease.
At Vegas Dental Experts, Dr. Harvey Chin brings his 40 years of expertise to every service he provides. With our state-of-the-art technology and procedures, he can deliver the care you need while feeling calm and stress-free.