TMJ Las Vegas
The term TMJ disorder refers to a variety of conditions that affect the temporomandibular joint (TMJ).
The TMJ is a hinge that connects the jaw to the muscles one uses to chew. Common TMJ disorders include migraines, headaches, jaw pain, head, neck, and shoulder pain. These conditions can be very painful, and while they are usually temporary, they may recur again and again. Symptoms are often accompanied by stress, anxiety, insomnia and depression.
Symptoms of a TMJ Disorder
If you experience one or more of the following, it could be a sign of a TMJ disorder. Dr. Chin can perform a thorough examination to determine the cause and extent of the problem.
- Frequent headaches
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Ringing in the ear
- Jaw pain while chewing, biting, or yawning; general stiffness or soreness of the jaw
- A sensitive or tender jaw joint
- Occasional trouble or pain opening and closing your mouth
- Unusual noises in the jaw joint when opening or closing your mouth, including clicking, popping, grinding or grating sounds
- Restriction in the movement of your jaw, including a limited range of movement and/or a “locking” feeling in the joint in either an open or closed position
- Difficulty eating hard or chewy foods because of joint pain or fatigue
- Clenching or grinding of teeth (Bruxism)
- Unexplained earaches
- Teeth that are sensitive or painful for no apparent reason
- Unexplained breaking or cracking of teeth
- Pain on the side of the head, face, neck and shoulders
- Sensitivity to light or noise
- Stuffiness or a “clogged” feeling in the ear
- Balance problems or dizziness
- stress, anxiety, insomnia and/or depression
Prevention and Detection
Dr. Chin has extensive training, and over 30 years of experience and success in relieving TMJ symptoms without surgery and without drugs. He knows that prevention is the key, so Dr. Chin uses a variety of methods for TMJ/TMD/Migraine/Headache, Head, Neck and Shoulder Pain prevention. It is estimated that 90% of all women suffer from an “unbalanced bite” which can cause TMD symptoms, in addition to sleep apnea and snoring. Prevention techniques can help young and middle-aged women before they get these symptoms.
Dr. Chin uses a combination of techniques and modern technology to assess your bite, including, TScan Technology.
Dr. Chin has extensive training, and over 30 years of experience and success in relieving TMJ symptoms without surgery and without drugs.
Dr. Chin typically treats TMJ disorders with some combination of these three methods:
In-Office Therapy – these non-surgical techniques includes
- massage trigger point therapy
- ultrasound therapy
- T-Scan – computer-assisted bite refinement
- laser therapy; and
- microcurrent therapy – which has been described as acupuncture without the needles.
- stress reduction therapy
- Nutritional supplements; and
- Use of an advanced painless microcurrent unit that relieves sore muscles and joints
Appliances – Dr. Chin can treat your TMJ with special mouthpieces, including:
- neuro-muscular orthotics that position your jaw in a more relaxed position
- Orthodontic orthopedic appliances to decompress the jaw
Dr. Chin and his team would be glad to answer any questions you have about treating TMJ disorders.
Call for a no obligation implant consultation today to determine your suitability for dental implants.
How it works
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time if you have any questions or concerns. We are always eager to exceed your expectations and provide you the very best in dentistry. Call us or schedule a consultation today!